Saturday, May 10, 2014

In honor of Mother's Day...

"A mother is she who can take the place of all others, but whose place no one else can take."

I'll spare you my long childhood story- though, if you knew it all, you would understand me as a person a whole lot better. However, I'm sure that's the case for everyone. :)
my grandma, sissy, mom & baby me!- circa 1995?


It's funny the things you discover about your own mom, when you become a mother yourself. Before I had Riley, my mom and I had a "heartbreaking" relationship, as she would put it- and that was mostly because of me. I wasn't an easy kid to put up with, heck, I'm still not sometimes. I took my mom for granted in more ways than I could think of. I disobeyed her, disrespected her, and always isolated myself from her. I didn't appreciate her like she deserved..
 But what I should've been, is grateful for her. Grateful for her working her butt off as a single mom trying to provide for my sister & I. Grateful that she was able to fill the space in my heart for 2 parents, instead of just 1. Grateful that she tried her hardest to discipline me on her own, and set me straight, when I was the most rebellious a teen could ever be (I am beginning to understand this more and more as Riley gets older). Grateful for all the times that she thought about me while she was out shopping and would bring me home something, even if I knew I didn't deserve it. But most importantly, I am grateful for all of the life lessons that I've learned from my mom. It may have been through tough love that I learned them, but that was clearly the only way I learned sometimes.
My mom has a beautiful, kind, loving, giving, & caring heart. She likes to see her loved ones happy, and that's definitely something I've inherited from her. She is still one amazing mom, and an even better grandma (GIGI!) to her 3 granddaughters. She may not have always gotten the best of me, but she'll definitely be getting that + some (aka Riley & Andi) for the rest of her days!

I love you Mommy! Thank you for everything you've put up with, and thank you especially for being the best Gigi to my daughters.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Paige, that was a beautiful post! I love the picture about the bangs! Haha! I hope your mom has read this. I feel really bad about putting my parents through so much in high school and they never deserved it. It's amazing how clearly we can see things now that we are moms. Kids just don't get it! "Gigi" is a great mom and your girls are lucky to have her as their Gigi :)

    ReplyDelete