Monday, March 24, 2014

No More Naps! Sanity Suicide or Brilliant Idea?

I never thought there would be a day where I, the mom, would decide that my kid would skip her nap time every day. After all, that is the only time that moms usually have to themselves, other than bed time. How was I going to survive?!
This past month, I was noticing that Riley's bed time was getting pushed back to later than usual. She would nap daily between 4-5pm and then go to bed around 11pm-midnight. At first, I didn't mind because I stayed at home anyways and never had to get up and get ready for work. So if she wanted to go to sleep late and sleep in, I was okay with that. However, my stress levels have been up and down and I would get some anxiety when it was finally time for me to go to bed but my 2 little rascals weren't sleeping yet. I was also noticing that once she woke up in the morning, she wasn't always in the best mood and not always cooperative when it came time to get ready for "school" (developmental class for an hour and a half), which would leave us starting off the day on a bad note.

This is when I came up with the idea of just letting her skip nap time, and putting her to bed earlier. And when I say letting, I mean that I would ask her if she wanted to take a nap and if she said no (which was 99% of the time) then I would let her stay up. The first week was definitely a struggle for the two of us, I didn't realize how much nap time affected me, not getting a break or a chance to breathe was... well, dreadful. But having a few hours to myself at night was worth it. It gave me a chance to clean up from the day, get ready for bed and maybe even watch a couple shows before falling asleep. Riley was also waking up bright eyed and bushy tailed in the mornings, so though it was a challenge, it was rewarding for us all in the end.

One of the more difficult tasks of skipping nap time was how to keep a 3 year old busy during the time she was supposed to nap, quiet time is very beneficial to a growing mind. Allowing them to focus on something other than electronics or terrorizing the house :) Here are some things that Riley plays with during this time:
Stay tuned for more details about the items pictured above in a separate post :)

Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. I totally get you. We said goodbye to nap time last year sometime. Most days Ariana doesn't nap at all and still goes to sleep late. Maybe when she has pre-k her schedule will change. Who knows! Whatever works for you, try it out! Seems like Riley does well without a nap. I just go by what she thinks her body needs, sometimes she needs an extra nap, but most times she is just fine without one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found your blog and love it!

    Lauren,
    http://www.atouchofsoutherngrace.com/

    ReplyDelete